TheMarket is a closed platform which carefully selects and approves a wide range of retailers and brands to join, offering New Zealand consumers a unique opportunity to get it all done.
All items listed on TheMarket must comply with the relevant regulations/laws and standards that apply to that product in order to be sold on TheMarket, any item listed for sale must be safe and fit for it's intended purpose.
The below list serves as a guide . Listings may be removed at our discretion where they pose a risk or are otherwise deemed not appropriate for TheMarket. Merchants are required to ensure they comply, independent advice must be sought where clarification is required.
The below items are considered banned, and cannot be listed for sale on TheMarket.com.
- Card skimming devices
- CCTV footage
- Cigarette or nicotine replacements including vape products/devices
- Counterfeit goods. Items that infringe copyright and other intellectual property rights
- Customs - items per prohibited and restricted list.
- Digital currency such as Bitcoin
- Digital content or memberships,
- Devices or equipment designed to create counterfeit goods or circumvent counterfeit/copyright protection measures
- Emulators supplied with preloaded content
- Energy Performance Rating - relevant products, must comply with the labelling requirements.
- 1. Clothes washers
2. Clothes dryers
3. Fridge/freezers, fridges, freezers
6. Computer monitors
7. Heat pumps/air conditioners
- 1. Clothes washers
- Fireworks/explosives of any type
- Firearms including Airguns (BB and paintball guns)
- Foreign plugs – goods that require an adaptor to be used in New Zealand
- Gang paraphernalia/memorabilia/materials
- Goods covered by Unsafe Goods Notices
- High powered laser pointers.
- Lottery and raffle tickets
- New Zealand Emergency Services and/or Law Enforcement agency uniforms - current or past
- Novelty lighters
- Objectional materials and content including imagery and language
- including but not limited to violence, nudity, racism or discrimination
- Prescription medicines/drugs (including veterinary only medicines), includes ingredients that contain prescription or restricted medicine(s)
- Plant matter (incl. seeds, fresh/dried flowers, untreated wood) and animal products when shipped from outside of New Zealand
- Pornographic material including but not limited to DVDs and magazines.
- Product imagery that contains nudity
- Radar jammers or other items designed to interfere with law enforcement, traffic control devices/equipment
- Recalled goods - any product that is subject to a recall notice.
- Recreational drugs and paraphernalia (including where implied use is illegal)
- Secondhand/used/refurbished goods/floor or display models (without prior approval)
- Shares, stocks and securities
- Shoplifting devices
- Shock collars/anti-bark collars that deliver a shock to the dog (vibration only versions allowed)
- Single use plastics that are banned per Waste Minimisation (Plastic and Related Products) Regulations 2022
- Stolen goods
- Tattoo machines/kits/guns/needles & tattoo ink
- Unsafe goods - any goods defined as unsafe.
- Tobacco/Vape products
- Weapons or items intended to be used as weapons
The below items can be listed provided they are compliant with New Zealand regulations, laws and standards.
- Adult items must be listed in the correct categories
- The offer of BDSM products, sex machines, pornography (including magazines) is prohibited.
- Alcohol - only approved merchants may list. Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 applies.
- Children’s products such as:
- Electrical goods - Must comply with New Zealand Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010. Refer to WorkSafe's Compliance guide for more information.
- Food - food labelling and standards apply.
- Check to see if you need to register your premises here.
- Expired food, drinks, supplements cannot be listed.
- Fur and fur products - illegal to sell fur products from an endangered species covered by CITES.
- Gas appliances
- Hazardous substances
- Knives. Any knife that is classed as a weapon, or prohibited from being imported into NZ.
- Medical devices
- Media. (DVDs, Games etc) must carry New Zealand classification ratings where required and must be compatible with NZ devices.
- Motorbike/bike/bicycle helmets
- Pharmacy only medicines may only be listed by registered New Zealand pharmacies (per Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003) and comply with relevant regulations applicable:
- Radio transmitters /transceivers - eg Baofeng UV-5R
- Single use plastics - must comply with Waste Minimisation (Plastic and Related Products) Regulations 2022
- Spy devices - voyeur type or devices designed to record people without their knowledge
- Supplements - must comply with the Dietary Supplements Regulations 1985
- Sunscreen - Must comply with the Sunscreen Product Safety Standard (tested to AS/NZS 2604.2012)
- Swimming pools - Must comply with mandatory notice obligations set by Building Act 2004.
- Toys - Children's toys must comply with AS/NZS ISO 8124.1:2002 Safety of toys – Part 1
- Traps - New Zealand restricts the sale and use of traps under the Animal Welfare Act 1999.